The Strand Theatre stands today as one of the 10 longest-operating movie theaters in the United States as well as one to the few remaining independent movie theaters showing first-run films. The theater attracts 75,000 patrons annually and operates 364 days of the year.
On April 10, 1916, the Strand Theatre was opened by proprietor Henry Bieberson Jr in the New York Cash Store building. We have been showing movies continually ever since! In January of 1936, the Strand was purchased by Schine Theaters out of Gloversville, NY and was part of that chain of movie theaters until 1971. Schine manager George Johnson and his wife Cindy bought the single screen theater. Under the Johnson's, the Strand grew from one screen to three screens. In 1982, the second screen was opened in the adjoining storefront to the left of the original lobby. In 1986, the balcony was closed and reconstructed to form the third screen. The Johnson's owned the Strand until retiring in 1994, when Cathy and Jerry Amato took over the helm. In 2002 Ohio Wesleyan University took ownership and helped create the Strand Theatre and Cultural Arts Association, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit board that currently owns the Strand.